Towards the Integrated Sustainability Assessment Platform for specific policy needs
At the core of the INTESA Action is the development and application of the theory and tools necessary to define and evaluate the natural resources relationships with social and economic sustainability thresholds, seeking to optimise socio-economic outcomes subject to environmental constraints and vice-versa, under alternative policy regimes aimed at resource efficient (green) growth. Such integrated sustainability assessments of policy regimes are made with explicit reference to spatially resolved environmental sustainability targets in a core suite of domains (for example, energy transformation, abiotic and biotic resource use, water use, reactive nitrogen mobilisation, biodiversity targets, territorial cohesion and regional development, etc.).
During 2013, the INTESA Action will continue the development of the European Integrated Sustainability Assessment Platform (ISAP) based upon the analytical framework developed in 2012 for the definition of scenarios and of assessment procedures.
ISAP builds upon the enhancement and expansion of the Land Use Modelling Platform (LUMP) as a key integrating tool for various policy and thematic issues (in both socio-economic and bio-physical domains) and will gradually include elements of the Life Cycle Thinking and Assessment approach.
In 2013 the Action focus is on the development of the bio-economy as a key element for smart and sustainable growth in Europe, the sustainable use of natural resources (including water, biomass and of unconventional energy resources), reduced dependence on scarce minerals and the ‘exploitation and integration’ of ecosystem services in regional development policies.
The INTESA Action contributes to the building-up of key horizontal modelling competences within the JRC in support of the EU policy process.
Addressing the aforementioned issues requires:
The Main goals for the INTESA Action in 2013:
- DG ENV - Environment
- DG REGIO - Regional Policy
- DG CLIMA - Climate Action
- DG ESTAT - Eurostat
- DG AGRI - Agriculture and Rural Development
- DG ENER - Energy
- DG ENTR - Enterprise and Industry
- DG RTD - Research and Innovation
- The Communication and Flagship initiative "A resource Efficient Europe" and its Roadmap (COM(2011) 21).
- A Roadmap for moving to a competitive low carbon economy in 2050 (COM(2011)21)
- The Europe 2020 Flagship Initiative: "Innovation Union" (SEC(2010) 1161).
- The Communication " Innovating for Sustainable Growth: A Bioeconomy for Europe" (COM(2012) 60).
- EU Cohesion Policy 2014-2020: legislative proposals (COM(2011)615)