The IES has published a JRC Reference Report containing a guide and a European harmonised protocol for identifying atmospheric pollution sources using receptor models. This report has been compiled in collaboration with the European networks of experts in the field of air quality modelling (FAIRMODE) and measurements (AQUILA).
The reduction of pollution at its source is one of the overarching principles of the EU’s Thematic Strategy on Air Pollution. Therefore, to implement the EU Air Quality Directives, identification and quantification of source contributions to air pollution, a practice known as source apportionment, is essential. This task can be accomplished using different approaches, by using source-oriented models (which process information on emissions and meteorology) or receptor-oriented models (which use measurements carried out in a specific site - the receptor).
The objective of the report is to disseminate and promote the best available methodologies for source apportionment using receptor models and to harmonise their application across Europe. It includes tutorials, technical recommendations and checklists.
The application of the harmonised protocol is expected to provide authorities involved in air quality management with access to transparent and comparable information that can be used as input data in scenario or cost-benefit analyses. The methodology will contribute to the improvement of the quality and comparability of data reported by Member States to the European Commission under the scheme for reciprocal exchange of information and reporting on ambient air quality.
- Belis C.A., Larsen B., Amato F., El Haddad I., Favez O., Harrison R., Hopke P., Nava S., Paatero P., Prevot A.S.H., Quass U., Vecchi R., Viana M. (2014). European guide on air pollution source apportionment with receptor models, EUR 26080
- Forum for air quality monitoring in Europe (FAIRMODE)
- Air Quality Reference Laboratories (AQUILA)
- Thematic Strategy on Air Pollution
- EU Air Quality Directives
- Scheme for reciprocal exchange of information and reporting on ambient air quality
- Belis C.A., Karagulian F., Larsen B.R., Hopke P.K. (2013). Critical review and meta analysis of Source Apportionment with Receptor Models in Europe. Atmospheric Environment 69 94-108
- Karagulian F., Belis C.A. (2012). Enhancing Source Apportionment with receptor models to Foster the Air Quality Directive Implementation. International Journal of Environmental Pollution 50, 190-199
- JRC Source Apportionment website